Friday 1 April 2011

Feature Friday - LaurasJewellery

For this week's feature I'd like to introduce Laura from LaurasJewellery.  Laura makes wonderful pieces of jewellery that are a delightful mixture of cute, kitsch, unique, funky and sometimes slightly vintage.

When did you start making jewellery and what made you decide that was the craft you were going to do?

I was 18 when I made my first pair of earrings (7 years ago). They were a pair of blue fender plectrum earrings and I'd seen some on eBay and decided I could make them.  It's spiralled ever since. I guess I fell into making jewellery, rather than deciding it was the craft for me. 

Do you make anything else besides jewellery? 

Yes, I dabble in other things too - baking, sewing, knitting and a bit of card making. I want to try making glass pendants and silver art clay pendants and learn how to crochet too!

Do you make a particular style of jewellery and what makes your pieces different to other jewellery makers?

I'd say my style is vintage, eclectic and kitsch all rolled in to one.  I try to source unique things from lots of places to make my jewellery stand out. I love rummaging around car boots and charity shops!

Where do you get your inspiration from? 

I get inspiration from lots of places; my favourite things at the moment are Alice In Wonderland, tea parties and Paris.  I love butterflies and birds too!

Do you make jewellery full time or do you have a job as well, if so would you like to make a living out of jewellery?

I work full time, as a Marketing Executive. I'd love to be able to do my jewellery full time, but it’s a very competitive market and I'm not ready to take the risk at the moment.

Where do you make your jewellery?

I'd love my own studio, but at the moment I'm stationed in the spare bedroom with a small computer desk in the corner and jewellery making supplies and packing materials spread out around me.

Where do you sell your pieces and how do you market yourself? 

My main outlet is Folksy (www.folksy.com/shops/LaurasJewellery) and I do some craft shows around the Christmas period. I have a Twitter account (http://www.twitter.com/LaurasJewellery) and a Facebook fan page (http://www.facebook.com/LaurasJewelleryShop ) for my jewellery and I'm in and out of a few forums as well.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

I'd love to be self employed, with my own little shop, selling handmade things from around the country!

Do you have any advice for people out there who might be interested in making jewellery?

Do lots of research and make sure there aren’t too many artists out there doing similar work to yours. And, most importantly, don't undervalue your work - you'll never make a living otherwise!

No comments: